Monday, July 31, 2006

You don’t get many of them to the ton!

I had my 34 week scan on Friday. This was to find out if the placenta had moved out of the way so I could have a natural birth. Well the good news is that it has moved enough. I also found out that Ewok is now in the correct position, no more breech worries for me.

However, there is still a little problem, well not so little actually. You see the nurse took measurements while she was doing the scan. She couldn’t get a head measurement but she managed to get a body measurement. Then she marked it on the little graph in my notes and then broke the news to me. Turns out that Ewok is in the 99th percentile for size – translation – Big Ass Baby!

If I’m interpreting the graph correctly, then Ewok is already just shy of 7lbs and I still have 6 weeks to go before my due date! Projecting the size onto the head size graph and then extrapolating the curve, if I go to term Ewok’s head will be 12.5 cm diameter, but when I have to push it out, the hole will only be 10cm diameter!

Anyway, thanks to this size issue I haven’t been able to book into the midwife unit because I have to go back for another scan at 38 weeks to check the size again. Seems that if the baby is on the large side then there’s a greater risk of distress during birth and it’ll have to be at the hospital so they can monitor Ewok closely. I also believe it means that there’s less chance of them letting me get too far overdue before they decide to induce me. Yippee skippee!

In other news, for those of you who were wondering. The BBQ went off very well. The new house is much bigger than the old one, but the garden is about the same size, however it’s more square which makes moving around a lot easier.

The boys managed to indulge their love of pyromania without requiring the intervention of the local fire brigade (although there were a couple of hairy moments), which was rather a relief, as the husband of the couple who run the B&B we stayed at, is one of the local fire brigade, and that would have just been embarrassing.

Next week I’m going to have to move out of my nice cool basement room and into the guest room, because we have some workmen coming in to rip out the downstairs bathroom and utility room, move the wall between the two and then refit both rooms. This is so we can have a new HUGE bath fitted in the bathroom, which is too big to fit in there at the moment. It’s longer, wider and deeper than your average bath, and it’s a whirlpool one to boot. We’re also having a shower fitted over it, so we’ll no longer have to rely on the one working shower we have, which leaks. The utility room will be fitted with new cupboards, a stainless steel sink and stainless steel worktops so that I can also use it as a dyeing room for my fabrics and threads. This will enable me to dye more than one piece of fabric at a time, give me somewhere safe to store all the dyes and associated gubbins, and mean that I don’t have to mix my dyes up in the kitchen anymore. Then we can add a lock on the door and it’ll keep Ewok away from all the nasty chemicals.

The reason I have to move to a different bedroom is simply that the toilet will be out of commission for a couple of weeks. Given that I have to go pee at least three times a night, I don’t want to be climbing the stairs every time I need to go in the night. So it’s back to the guest room, which has it’s own en-suite toilet. Fingers crossed the weather doesn’t get all hot again while the work is being done.