Friday, December 09, 2005

SBQ & knitting pattern

SBQ

Have you done any charity stitching, been in one, or would like to organize one?

No I haven’t, I have considered it but never bothered. I can’t see that that will change in the future either.

Knitting Pattern

Ok this is my ‘pattern’ for the softest snuggliest warmest scarf ever.

You need 3 balls of Stylecraft Gypsy and 2 balls of Sirdar Snuggly 4ply. I used white in both of them for this scarf, but I’m about to start another one in Gypsy Storm and Snuggly Indigo Mix.

Using 6mm needles and both wools together cast on 30 stitches.

Knit every row until you run out of the Gypsy.

This should give you a scarf approx. 6.5” wide by 54” long. Obviously this is quite chunky so feel free to adjust the pattern accordingly, especially if you’re knitting one for a child. I only used about a third of the second ball of snuggly, so if you are cutting the size down by more than a quarter then you’ll probably only need one ball of snuggly.

6mm needles are if you knit with normal tension. I actually used 5.5mm needles but then I have quite sloppy tension.

Ok, so as knitting patterns go it’s not the trickiest thing in the world. It’s all in the wool you use. Believe me, fondling the gypsy wool is like stroking one of my semi-longhaired cats, and the snuggly just provides a bit extra warmth while still being, well, snuggly.

P.S. If you're in the UK, this is a great place from which to buy the wool for this project.