Monday, April 18, 2005

Extra cheese please

After my last post about DBF’s and my taste in films I decided to share with you some of my favourite cult or ‘B’ movies.

Cult films

The Rocky Horror Picture Show
A gay male friend introduced me to this one at the age of 16. I absolutely adore Tim Curry because of this film. The mans voice sends shivers down my spine. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve watched this film and I have 3 of the soundtrack albums (on vinyl) including the audience participation one.
Best bit: When Frank-n-furter makes his first appearance in the lift, I’m always on the edge of my seat and do a little swoon-thing when he starts singing.

Excalibur
I’ve always been interested in tales of Arthur although I was more interested in the magic and mysticism than the hack and slash. Nicol Williamson’s overacting and hamming in the part of Merlin is what makes this film such a total joy to watch. No other film of the subject will ever displace this one in my mind and if anyone ever tries to remake it I will personally go round and torch their studios.

The Princess Bride
This film is just plain silly and I love it. DBF hates it and neither of us can explain to the other why we feel the way we do. There is no one actor that stands out in this film for me; it’s just great fun to watch.
Best bit: The swordfight at the top of the cliffs.
Most quoted line: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Jason and the Argonauts
This is a classic. Groundbreaking animation for the time, it looks awful now, but it still has the power to make me sit and watch it when I switch the TV on and see it’s on.
Best bit: The skeleton warriors from the dragon’s teeth.

Clash of the Titans
I haven’t seen this one for years because whenever there’s a slot on telly for a film of this type they show Jason instead. Another Ray Harryhausen classic.


‘B’ movies

Masters of the Universe
Dolph Lundgren, saying very little, wearing even less, nuff said.

Conan the Barbarian
Arnie, saying a bit more but wearing a lot less, ok I’m a perv *grin*

Krull
This is most definitely ‘B’ rather than cult. The first film to use ‘that’ music (as far as I know anyway) that keeps cropping up in more modern fantasy films, if you heard it you’d know what I mean. It actually had a few, now well known actors in it. Lysette Anthony played the damsel in distress. Others included Bernard Bresslaw (of many a Carry On film) and Francesca Annis, but by far the most surprising is a role for Liam Neeson.

Ladyhawke
It’s a fantasy chick-flick, what more do you want.

Dungeons and Dragons
This is the recent fantasy ‘epic’ with the very delectable Justin Whalin playing the lead character Ridley *yum*. Another one where the hammiest actors provide the best bits of acting. Jeremy Irons as the bad guy hams it up for all he’s worth and Richard O Brien does a fantastic job (as usual) as the slimy-but-suave King of the Thieves. Another thing to look out for in this film is the moments when it takes off other films, such as the swordfight between Profion (Irons) and Ridley where Profion’s sword glows red and Ridley’s glows blue.

So bad they’re good…

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom
This probably should be classified as a ‘D’ movie (or maybe lower) it’s truly appalling and yet because it’s so appalling, I love it. How can you not love a film with such a corny title, in which the evil witch is called Udea (pronounced OO-dear)

Legend
A young Tom Cruise, a white horse with an excruciatingly bad rubber unicorn horn, fields of flowers and fairies, a damsel in distress and Tim Curry (slobber) as the devil. What’s not to love?

Beastmaster
Another scantily clad beefcake in the lead role. I forget who the actor is because in this film it’s the animals that steal the show. The two woozles are the cutest little mischief-makers you will ever see on celluloid.

There are many others but these are the ones that come to mind as I write. Anyway if I mentioned them all there would be none left for you to tell me about.