Monday, January 14, 2008

Slippery when greasy

I made some homemade sugar scrub yesterday. I'd been feeling in need of a good cleansing for a while now. Not that I don't bathe regularly, it's just sometimes I feel the need for a really good scrubbing (Ooooh Matron!).

Usually I'll use a shop bought scrub, like the Totally Juicy grapefruit one (I blogged about this ages ago) but with no personal income to speak of I decided to have a go at my own.

I'd seen various recipes online which were all based around the core of sugar and olive oil, both of which I have in the house. The one I tried was one part oil to two parts sugar, I used 1/4 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of sugar, then I put in 10 drops of lavender essential oil so that I wouldn't end up smelling like a greek salad. Then I hopped in the bath to give it a try.

It worked wonderfully, better than I'd hoped, but there are a couple of things to watch out for. Firstly, after using the scrub, when you rinse the stuff off, your skin will be greasier than a bacon sarnie, and secondly, so will the bath.

To deal with the excessive greasiness on me I emptied the bath out, washed all over with my usual soap and then rinsed off under the shower. I use the Johnsons Baby Bedtime Bath so it's nice and mild and won't counteract any benefit you get from the scrub. As for the greasy bath, you just have to be very carfeul getting out and then clean it thoroughly afterwards.

The first thing I noticed after I dried off was that my skin felt incredibly soft and smooth and smelled faintly of lavender, another benefit was that my hands didn't feel all dry and rough any more, which is probably the first time they haven't since Ewok was born.

I only used a small amount of the mixture so I've got plenty for next time. I probably won't use it every time I bath, but I may try and use it on my hands more often. One thing I did notice is that the sugar has a tendancy to settle to the bottom, so I've got it in a container that's bigger than necessary, so I can just give it a good shake to mix it up again when I need it.