Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Goodbye old friend

Finally, today I'm going to collect my new car. It's taken ages to get the money out of my savings account, partly due to the numpties who work there and partly due to the postal worker's strikes holding up the mail. But now the money is in my bank account, so I'm off to Lincoln just after lunch to hand over the dosh and get the new car.

I'm excited, but a little sad too. I'm going to miss my current car. I've had it for over 6 years and it's been a good little car. There are a couple of things about it that I'm not going to miss. The way the clips that hold the parcel shelf in place keep falling off, and the loose corner on the window that catches the wind and squeals like a soul in torment when I'm driving fast or in high winds. However I am really going to miss my nice comfy bucket-like seat that I've carefully beaten down and bedded in, until my bum fits nicely into it and it's soft and squishy.

I'm not looking forward to the suffering this new car is going to cause. The driving position is very different from my current car. At the moment I'm very laid back. The new car has me sitting higher up and almost on top of the pedals, which puts my driving foot at a much sharper angle than it's used to, more like driving a van than a car. I'll need to do a bit of pottering about in it, to ease my poor aching joints in gently.

Wookiee's happy because it's got a CD player. My current car only has a tape deck, although I do have one of those adapter thingies, that plugs into the tape slot at one end and another media device at the other end, so you can hook up a CD player or MP3 player and play it through the car stereo.

Fingers crossed I don't break down en route!