Saturday, August 19, 2006

Bump update

I saw my midwife last Monday and got the lowdown on what 'plus size' Ewok really means.

First off, there's no chance of me giving birth at the midwife unit now. Big baby = possible complications, so it's definitely the hospital for me. While I'm disappointed about this, at least now I know. The possible upside to this is that they have a proper birthing pool at the hospital, so I'll be going for that option as long as it's free. Not necessarily to actually give birth in the pool, but certainly to spend most of my labour in there. I love the thought of being able to wallow in a big bath most of the time.

The other major thing is that there's very little chance of me being allowed to go past my due date. Since all Ewok will be doing is getting bigger and bigger, if I haven't gone into labour by my due date I think they'll be wanting to induce me fairly soon after. I'm not too happy about this since I've been advised that it can be tricky to get someone started when it's their first baby. It just means that Wookiee and I will have to try all the 'alternative' methods of 'self inducement' in the last week before my due date. I already know about the spicy food and the nookie options, if any of you have any other suggestions/remedies/old wives tales, feel free to leave them in the comments. If nothing else I like a laugh *grin*

My foot and ankle are still nice and puffy, but at least the puffiness has started to go down a little overnight now, and as long as I keep my feet up when I'm sitting down, and I don't spend too much time on my feet, it doesn't get too bad during the day. This means I get to spend a lot of my day on the sofa, in front of the telly, with my stitching *yay*, and I'm getting so much stitching done I still can't quite believe it. I started on Fairy Tale Sampler last Monday and I'm over halfway through it already. At this rate I'll have it finished by the end of the month and have to decide what to stitch next!

Oh, and because I like leaving things to the last minute... I still haven't packed my bag for the hospital. I do have most things ready to pack, I just need to actually pack them.

Denial - not just a river in Egypt.