Friday, April 21, 2006

20 weeks

First of all a big thank you to everyone who commented and/or emailed me in response to the last post. I knew that many of my readers were pet lovers but I never expected quite such a response. It meant a lot to me.

I still miss him an awful lot, and I'm sure I will for quite some time to come. 13 years is a long time and unlike the time I lost Muscles, I had no time to get used to the idea that he was ill and wasn't going to get better, and in fact only had a little time left. With Muscles, I had a good 6 months of that and in the end it made it a little easier to say goodbye. With Pixel it was; Friday - he's ill; Monday - he's gone.

Anyway, the main thrust of this post, as you can probably tell from the title, is that I'm now 20 weeks pregnant, and this morning I had my anomaly scan at the hospital.

Apparently, Ewok is fine, no anomalies spotted. They are a little concerned because the placenta is lying low and they've said I'll need to go back for another scan at 34 weeks to check on it.

Yes, the nurse did give us an idea of Ewok's gender. No, we will not be sharing that information with anyone, so don't ask *grin*

However, while everything may be fine with Ewok, apparently they are a little concerned about me. When they did the urine test today they found some protein in it. I also had higher blood pressure than they liked. That coupled with the fact that I've been suffering from some really nasty headaches over the last 2-3 weeks (including a 4-day long one) means that they are going to be keeping a close eye on me... but they didn't tell me why. They simply told me to make an appointment with my midwife for 4 weeks time and I have another appointment at the hospital in 8 weeks.

So when I got home I did some research online, and I suspect that it's the risk of pre-eclampsia that has them concerned. I still wasn't too bothered, although it would have been nice if they'd told me that at the hospital so I knew for sure. That was until I got a call this evening from one of the area midwives (not mine) who told me that they had had a somewhat confused message from the hospital, which upon clarification translated into the fact that they wanted my blood pressure checking again on Monday. So of course, NOW I'm worried. Which is going to do my blood pressure the world of good, isn't it.

Ah well. I do have another scan piccy to share, but that involves firing up the scanner and frankly I can't be arsed at the moment, but I'll do my best to post it over the weekend, and then I'll let you know what I can pump out of the midwife when I see her on Monday.