Thursday, December 29, 2005

Just call me Granny Four Eyes

I had to go for an eye test yesterday. As I work with computers all day every day, my company pays for me to get my eyes tested every three years. It’s been about 6 years since I last went but recently I’ve been having trouble shifting my focus from near to far, so off I went.

First of all I made the mistake of scheduling my appointment at an opticians in Meadowhall (one of the biggest shopping centres/malls in the country) slap-bang in the middle of the post Christmas Sales. So I was ready to bite the heads off small children by the time I made it to my destination (I don't do crowds very well).

Then I was told that they were running about 15 mins late. Ok, I think, not a problem, I knew I was going to have to take a long lunch break today. 35 mins later I’m still sat there when an assistant comes over to apologise and let me know that I’m the next person to be seen. 10 more minutes and one of the opticians appears and promptly calls though someone else, who’d been sat there for maybe 2 minutes. That was when I started to fume. It must have shown on my face because another assistant came over to check on me, then she went to check their system and came back to tell me that their system had me as being seen by someone already which is why I’d been passed over *grr, snarl*

So, having gone for a 13:00 appointment, I was finally seen at 14:10.

Of course the icing on the cake was that I now need glasses for VDU work and reading, and had to shell out £160 for the dratted things, and that was with half price frames from the sale!