Thursday, July 14, 2005

Bits and Bobs

Ok, part four of the holiday will be done just as soon as I sort out the last lot of photos. In the meantime a few misc bits of news.

I’ve just spoken to my boss and the part time working has been approved. I had to put it in writing to make it official and they require a months notice, so I should only have to wait a few more weeks before I get to spend my Mondays lounging around on my ass in front of the t.v. cleaning the house up and working hard at making more jewellery to sell on Ebay.

Since I mentioned that I probably have PCOS, many many people have told me they have it too or know people who have it, and the one thing almost all of these people have in common… they’re childless. So my optimism had taken a bit of a hit. Last night I was at the pub quiz with Wookee and D (xBIL) and mentioned this to D who told me a mutual acquaintance has it too and still managed to conceive in no time flat. Then this morning I got a text from D’s missus H, who is also a very dear friend, with more reassuring words. I know she’s planning on reading this tonight, so thanks sweetie, I needed the boost *kiss*

Stitching news: I have had the next bundle in the RR and am now merrily stitching away on Zoe’s piece. Zoe has been really kind to us all and chosen TW corners for her theme, meaning her stitching areas are a maximum of 30 stitches square. Of course even the corners on TW’s designs are detailed and fiddly and the one I’ve chosen still uses about 20 different colours, but at least it’ll stitch up quickly and I can get back to Celtic Winter.

I’ve just had to phone Sew and So because I realised I did a muppety thing last night. That’s what I get for ordering supplies at 1am. I went online to order some threads that I am out of and need for Zoe’s RR and Celtic Winter and decided I was going to try out a small snap frame for stitching instead of a hoop (yes I use a hoop, stop hissing you lot!). About 10 mins ago I realised that I had got all the threads and even a couple of other things that weren’t on the shopping list (don’t we always) but I’d completely forgotten the snap frame *DOH!*. Fortunately the very nice man (very very nice man…) on the other end of the phone managed to find my order and get one added to it for me. (…a very very nice man…)

Finally, a couple of SBQ’s that needed catching up on:

Do you think that you stitch neater on Evenweave than you do on Aida cloth? If so, why?

It’s been a long time since I stitched on Aida properly (showing Vics at the weekend doesn’t really count - how's that going dear?) but aside from the issues of stitching fractional stitches on Aida I can’t say that my stitching would look any different than it does on Evenweave. Of course if I actually compared one of my pieces stitched on Aida with one stitched on Evenweave then the Evenweave one probably would look neater but only because the one on Aida was stitched aeons ago before I got neat.

What do you do when you have some sort of obligation stitching to do, but don’t want to do it?

I think the RR that I’m in is the first time that I’ve risked being put in that situation. All the other ‘obligation’ stitching I’ve done in the past has been something I wanted to stitch for the (IMO) deserving recipients. So far with the RR I’ve been lucky. Even with the dreaded hedgehog I managed to find a design that I liked, although I think part of the trial in finding a design to stitch was that I didn’t like most of the ones that fit and so I didn’t want to stitch them. If I really had to do a piece I didn’t like I’d just get on with it and try and get it over with as quickly as possible.