Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Weight, wobblies, and SBQ

Weight

Some of you may have noticed that my ticker hasn't been updated for a couple of weeks. That because I missed my meeting last week. Today I went along and I've lost another 2.5 pounds *yay* I'm keeping a spreadsheet of my loss and plotting a graph with my actual weight loss, target loss, and a trend line. My first goal was to lose 50lbs by the end of the year, an average of 1lb a week. According to my trendline if I keep losing at the rate I have been, I'll hit my goal sometime towards the end of August!

Wobblies

A couple of weeks ago I had a really bad case of vertigo over the weekend. By the monday I was pretty much ok again and I put it down to lack of sleep or food or somesuch. Well it's back again. I started feeling peculiar mid-afternoon, but I made it home ok. Then about an hour ago I was making my dinner and I started feeling really woozy. It's not quite as bad as last time, my dinner is still in my tum, but I keep finding myself leaning when I stand up or walk around. The worst of it is that I'm supposed to be going to the pub tonight for the quiz. Wookie is already there and he can't get home without me, but I don't feel safe to drive. I'm going to and have alittle lie down after I've written this and hope I feel better so I can go and pick him up at least.

SBQ

And finally... this weeks Stitching Bloggers Question.

Given the option, would you rather buy a chart and get the material
and floss together yourself, or buy a pre-packed kit?


Absolutely no contest on this one. Give me the chart every time. Kits are great when you're just starting out, but when you've been stitching as long as I have, you amass stash, and you want to use that stash. Kits also don't always use the best materials and many of them provide Aida fabric, which is fine if you like Aida, but if you don't then you end up replacing the fabric which costs more on top of the cost of the kit. If there's a design I really really like and it's only available as a kit then I will probably buy it and switch out the fabric, but where I can, I will buy a chart and the materials myself.

I have recently been looking on ebay for charts from kits as many stitchers will buy the kit and stitch it, and then sell on the chart afterwards. Unfortunately I've been had by a seller who was selling photocopies of the charts rather than the originals. To be fair, when I complained she refunded my money and told me to just destroy the copies, but I'm more wary now.