Thursday, February 10, 2005

Pointless Jam

Translations for those of you in the US will be at the end…

Anita over at Fighting Inertia is now also fighting the flab, although based on her stats I can't see that there's room for much (if any) flab there to fight, but still.

So in honour of the occasion I give you another flabulous (see what I did there) recipe, this time for Pointless Jam:

2 sticks of rhubarb
1 packet of sugar-free raspberry jelly
1 clean jamjar or other container

First chop up the rhubarb and pop in a pan with a little water, heat until the rhubarb softens and starts to get stringy, this won’t take long. You can do this in the microwave as well just be careful not to ‘wave it for too long, cleaning up exploded rhubarb is not fun. Pour off the excess liquid.

Make up the jelly but only use half the amount of water that the instructions call for. Mash up the rhubarb a bit and then stir it into the jelly. Pour the whole lot into the jar/container and leave to set. You may want to stir it a bit while it’s setting so that the fruit doesn’t all sink to the bottom.

Once it has set, use as jam. Keep in the fridge and use within one to two weeks.

In case you hadn't figured it out from the name this has 0 (count them, ZERO) points for Weightwatchers :)

Even if you normally hate rhubarb I would suggest trying this once. I can’t stand the stuff but I’ll happily spread the jam on my toast. I think it’s the raspberry jelly that makes it all taste good.

Translations UK = US:

Jam = Jelly
Jelly = Jello