Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Nutcracker

The ballet was amazing! The dancers were fantastic, the costumes were gorgeous and the scenery... ok I need a thesaurus, I'm running out of superlatives.

It was classical ballet, none of your modern rubbish. I've seen some modern ballet and it just doesn't appeal to me. The lady who danced the part of the Snow Queen is either a very good actress as well or she was thoroughly enjoying herself. Most of the dancers had smiles plastered on their faces and some of them even looked genuine occasionally, but hers was the only one that looked genuine all the time it was there. Once or twice it slipped for a moment but it just seemed to be that she was concentrating especially hard at those moments.

The man who danced the Nutcracker was very nice. Easy on the eye. Although, looking at the fantastic set of muscles in his legs, I did find myself thinking rather more of a prize racehorse than a human being.

Of course the woman in the seat next to me had a coughing fit all the way through the third act and wouldn't just nip out for a glass of water, and I had a 'hummer' sitting behind me. You know, the person who knows all the music and insists on humming along. Well excuse me but you can just stop that. I've come to listen to the orchestra and watch the dancers, not listen to your slightly off-key humming.

Despite all that I had a great time and I can't wait for Swan Lake now.