Thursday, December 02, 2004

Big brother is watching you…

Well actually it’s my boss, but it feels the same. If you’ve read my earlier posts you’ll know that I recently moved to a different office within the same company. I used to work in Birmingham, now I’m in Sheffield. Unfortunately my boss wasn’t willing to let me move on to a new project until his was finished. This means that I am working with a team of guys all based in Brum whilst sitting with a load of guys that I’m not working with (yet.) It’s quite lonely.

I seem to have been sat in the ‘squirrelly’ part of the office. A-ha! I hear you cry, but you’re a programmer, they’re all squirrelly. Well no, we’re not. We may be strange to you, geeky maybe, some are even nerdy, but even amongst us there’s the ones that are really strange, they’re the squirrelly ones. For example, the guy sat behind me, P.

P is a middle aged, fairly normal looking man. Then you look at his desk. All along the back of his desk is a little wall built up of toy cars in little display boxes. Only they’re not toy cars, oh no, they’re collector items. Ok fine, why keep them at work? and why, by all accounts, get extremely upset if someone ‘messes’ with them. Being the sort of person I am, I soooo want to move one of them, swap it with another one maybe, but I daren’t do it when one of my colleagues is watching, I have a feeling they’d grass me up. I’m still waiting for the right moment, if I get chance I’ll let you all know the outcome.

Anyway, back to the point. I’ve been working remotely from the rest of my team now for a couple of months, so my boss decided it was time for a friendly visit. So he’s here today, with his laptop, and he’s using an empty desk. *Right* *Behind* *Me* hmph. I hate that. I’m paranoid (no you’re not, they are out to get you) and I feel like I’m being watched, he probably isn’t watching me, but the hairs on the back of my neck are threatening to pop out at the moment. You know in Lion King, when the hyena hears the name Mufasa, that’s me right now *shudder*.