Tuesday, July 15, 2008


And not in a good way *sigh*

I had my first trip to A&E this evening after a certain Ewok, running full tilt across the living room, tripped and smashed his forehead into the edge of the wooden leg of one of our dining chairs. At first I didn't realise just how hard he'd hit it, until close inspection while comforting my sobbing and howling son showed me a HUGE egg-shaped lump on his head. I've heard people describe lumps in this way before, but this is the first time I've seen it happen. It was swelling up as I watched, within a couple of minutes it was about 1.5 inches long, by 1 inch wide and over an inch up from his head, and no, I didn't get a ruler out and measure it, this is just an estimate.

As soon as I saw this immense lump I yelled for Wookiee in my best 'Emergency, emergency, there's an emergency going on'* fashion and he came running. I showed him the lump and we agreed it was time for a trip to the local hospital.

By this time Ewok had stopped crying and when I grabbed the car keys he perked up and started saying Car! Car! (I swear I'm raising a petrolhead). So Ewok was strapped in to his car seat, with Woookiee sat in the back to keep an eye on him, and I did my best Nigel Mansel impression down the highways and byways to A&E.

We checked in and sat down to wait. Ewok snuggled for about 5 mins while he got used to being in a new strange place and then started wriggling like mad to be let down so he could run around like a loony some more. Because clearly, when you're an almost-2-year-old boy you can never run around madly bumping into things enough. Thanks to this totally unconcerned behaviour on his part I was feeling a teeny bit silly when we were finally seen by the triage nurse about 40 mins later. She asked a few questions about whether he had knocked himself out, had he been sick, checked his eyes, watched him wriggling and trying to play with her computer keyboard and said that we could go and take a seat in the main waiting area, but that there would be about a 2.5 hour wait to see a doctor, who would most likely just give us a leaflet on head inrjuries and send us home, so it was up to us if we wanted to wait.

Needless to say we didn't wait, we simply brought him home, gave him his supper and put him to bed, where, after playing with his teddies for a little while, he fell fast asleep as normal.

We did move his cot into the main bedroom for the night, because I'm still going to follow the procedure of checking on him every three hours through the night and that's just so much easier if he's in the same room. However I suspect that he's once again going to prove that toddlers are indeed made of rubber.

Anyway, once all the fuss was over and he was eating his supper, I did get some piccies of the war wound for posterity:

It's not come out very well, but you can just see the large purplish welt above his right eye. What you can't see is that it's about half an inch off his forehead. I suspect it may get more spectacular over the next few days.

*Extra credit if you know where this is from.